Based on feedback from our students, our teams have made important changes to our delivery of student support.
In addition to our physical location on campus in Meisler Hall, you can also call, email, chat with us in Live Chat, and even request a virtual appointment - all from the comfort of where you are.
Preparing for the FAFSA:
The 2023 - 2024 FAFSA is now available at http://fafsa.gov. Listed below is an outline of the process students will need to complete in order to have an aid offer made for the 2023 - 2024 academic year.
1. Get Organized:
- Apply for admission at University of South Alabama (USA). Students must be accepted before aid eligibility can be determined.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password at http://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account. FSA ID’s are used for electronic signatures. Parents of dependent students must
also create a FSA ID.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine
if a student is considered to be dependent, visit http://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out/dependency .
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is considered to be dependent, visit http://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out/dependency .
2. Complete and Submit the FAFSA Online:
- Complete the FAFSA at http://fafsa.gov
- Avoid common errors by verifying personal information is entered correctly (name, date of birth, and social security number).
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA.
- List USA in Step 6 of the FAFSA. USA’s school code is 001057.
- Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID’s if the student is dependent.
- Print a copy of the submitted information for future reference.
3. After Filing the FAFSA:
- Once the FAFSA has been received by USA, students will be notified through their JagMail account (if accepted for admission), or the email address listed on the FAFSA.
- Students should continue to check for emails and their PAWS account on a regular basis
for any additional requests for documents.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before
an aid offer can be processed.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before an aid offer can be processed.
4. Finalize Aid Offers:
- Aid Offer notifications will be sent to the student’s JagMail account. Students can also check the status of their aid offers at any time in PAWS.
- Accept/decline any aid offers in PAWS.
- If a student accepts Federal Direct Student Loans, they must complete loan requirements such as a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling at http://studentaid.gov using their FSA ID. Outstanding loan requirements will be listed in PAWS.
Students attending USA for Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and/or Summer 2024 should complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA using 2021 income and tax information. The 2023-2024 FAFSA is available to complete at http://fafsa.gov until June 30, 2024.
Students attending USA for Fall 2024, Spring 2025 and/or Summer 2025 should complete the 2024-2025 FAFSA using 2022 income and tax information. The 2024-2025 FAFSA will not be available to complete until December 2023.